Big Ladder Software
Arup, 77 Water St., Floor 5, New York, NY 10005
September 21 - 22, 2017
This workshop will teach you how to use DesignBuilder to improve productivity, enabling you to model and analyse building performance using EnergyPlus and Radiance much more quickly and efficiently. The workshop will cover the key elements of modeling from early through to detailed project stages and LEED certification. No prior learning or knowledge of DesignBuilder is required for Day 1, which will teach you how to quickly and easily create a model for early-stage analysis, test different early-stage options, and develop the model as the design evolves. Day 2 will introduce detailed HVAC modelling, show you how to quickly and easily generate ASHRAE 90.1 baseline models automatically, and showcase the new LEED capabilities. Day 2 requires attendance on Day 1 or prior experience using DesignBuilder.
Both days of the workshop will use the latest DesignBuilder software, due to be released this Fall, which includes significant new ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G automation, DAYSIM for LEED v4 daylighting credits, and a new online LEED reporting and submission tool. Free 30-day licenses will be provided, so why not come along and learn how to use these new tools and experience for yourself why so many of our customers say they would recommend DesignBuilder training to a friend or colleague.
Day 1 - DesignBuilder fundamentals and early-stage modeling
Day 1 is designed for those with no DesignBuilder experience and for existing customers who wish to brush up on the latest features. You will learn how to:
Import models directly from Revit and from other BIM tools via gbXML import, and import floor plans to aid geometry creation.
- Quickly create and edit model geometry.
- Use DesignBuilder’s unique data input and management tools to vastly reduce your data input time and effort.
- Quickly model a variety of solar shading devices.
- Run steady-state heating and dynamic cooling load calculations using EnergyPlus’s accurate ASHRAE heat balance method.
- Run simulations and generate outputs to quantify comfort and energy performance.
Day 2 - DesignBuilder for detailed design and the new LEED modeling tools
Day 2 is focused on our new LEED functionality and is designed for those who have completed Day 1 or existing customers who wish to brush up on our latest features. You will learn how to:
- Set up an ASHRAE 90.1 proposed model “from scratch”.
- Gain LEED daylighting credits using new DAYSIM climate-based daylight modeling tools.
- Use DesignBuilder’s new LEED tools to automate the baseline building and HVAC system creation.
- Fine-tune and model non-predominant systems in mixed-use buildings.
- Data check and analyse outputs for LEED.
- Use the new online LEED reporting and submission tools.
Reproduction and publication of this article and its contents in no way implies that IBPSA-USA endorses the products/services mentioned.