May 14, 2020
This webinar will illustrate best practice modeling of ground source heat pumps. Brendan Hall of CHA Consulting, and Mattie DeDoes of Karpinski Engineering, will use two past projects to show you how ground heat exchangers can be effectively modeled to improve HVAC system efficiency.
The webinar will include:
- An introduction briefly explaining ground source heat pump types and how they work, ground heat exchanger design considerations, and EnergyPlus ground heat exchanger fundamentals.
- Exporting heating and cooling loads from DesignBuilder into the GLD ground heat exchanger design software for more detailed and accurate sizing calculations for a range of borehole layouts and ground properties.
- Importing the calculated G-function data from GLD into DesignBuilder to improve model accuracy, and setting up and simulating the system with modular chillers.
- Modeling a hybrid geothermal system to gain 90% of the energy reduction for only 60% of the cost of a full ground source system.
- A brief introduction to VRF fundamentals and system types.
- Guidance on using DesignBuilder and EnergyPlus VRF performance curves, and top tips on pairing a ground heat exchanger with a water cooled VRF system
- A performance comparison between air and water-cooled VRF systems.
Date & Time: Thu, May 14, 2020; 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM PDT
Reproduction and publication of this article and its contents in no way implies that IBPSA-USA endorses the products/services mentioned.